Thursday, April 4, 2013

Wilted Chard Salad

My dad grows a garden. Always has. It was nice as a kid because not only did we learn the meaning of prison labor, but we literally got to enjoy the fruits of our labor. I think I like vegetables now because I had a vested interest in them growing  up. Except lima beans. Hate them and always will.

Chard is sort of like spinach. I love it. I love all greens. I usually make a wilted spinach salad that involves feta cheese, but thought I would change it up a bit.

The stuff in the background is Orange Chicken, which I will provide that recipe at a later time.

For the chard, this is what I did.

Wilted Chard Salad
a bunch of chard, de-stemmed and sliced into manageable pieces (uncooked fills out a mixing bowl)
this stuff really cooks down a lot, so don't be fooled when you have a huge pile of it.
juice from 1/2 lemon
3-4 cloves of garlic minced
6 strips bacon (or can do bacon fat with no bacon)
salt and pepper to taste
green onions chopped

 

In a large skillet, fry to bacon. Pull out the bacon and leave the grease. toss in the minced garlic and mix around until golden brown. Break up the bacon pieces.
Put in the chard and cook down, about 5 minutes.
Mix in the bacon, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Toss in the green onions and mix around for another minute or so.

Makes about 3 servings.

Spoiler Alert: pretty much all future recipes will have vague amounts of ingredients. mostly because I toss in handfuls and pinches of stuff. I try hard to remember as I go, but I don't always remember what I did. I will use words like toss, slap, and pinch when referring to mixing in food.

Do, or do not. There is no 'try'.

5 comments:

  1. "not only did we learn the meaning of prison labor..."

    Ah, I needed a good laugh out loud. Thanks.

    What if we use the words "toss, slap and pinch" in a comment? Extra points?

    Looks yummy, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave! Not only did we do garden labor, but we invited our friends to come over and do it with us! And told them it was fun!

      Delete
  2. aww, but the chard and feta salad is so good!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, but I will save that recipe for a later date! it isn't like the chard in the garden is going away any time soon. :)

      Delete
  3. Well now I'm craving this chard salad!! Will make it this weekend:)

    ReplyDelete