Thursday, April 25, 2013

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary, How Does your Garden Grow?

My dad has grown a garden almost all of my life. As a kid, we helped out in the garden (again, free prison labor), but it was nice to enjoy the fruits of our labor. Probably the only reason my older sister and I love vegetables, is because of the garden.  For those of you who don't know a chard from a collard, or maybe are panicking because you thought collard was the thing dogs wear around their necks, here is quick preview of my backyard garden.
 
And if you are wondering why I am not taking pictures of the garlic, onions, beets, carrots, or turnips (we are growing them too!), umm, that is because they grow, um, below the ground, so um, it's hard to, um, take photos of them.


Spring garden mid season
Collard Greens
Russian Kale


Swiss Chard


Romaine Lettuce


Red Leaf Lettuce
 

Oregano
And for a quick example of what one can do with a fresh garden, see below.
 
Beet and Goat Cheese Salad
 
 
I used fresh lettuce from the garden, romaine, bib, red leaf, and tender beet green leaves
4 beets, washed, trimmed, cooked and peeled
1 package (2 oz) of goat cheese
candied walnuts (I made my own, but that was too complicated. It's called a grocery store people)
 
Dressing:
1/2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
1/2 cup virgin olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
 
I did not raise the goat or make the cheese, although some people do. If you want to know where goat cheese comes from, open your browser on your computer, type in www.google.com/images and then in the search box type in GOAT.



No comments:

Post a Comment