Friday, April 12, 2013

Don't Pass this Over

Passover and Easter are a great time of the year for me, food wise. Well, okay, there is more to those days than just food. LOL. This year, we celebrated both Passover and Easter. We went over to my sister's in-laws for Easter and had a fabulous luncheon! Fabulous!! So much food, I thought we were having Thanksgiving. My dad was out of town for both of those, but we had a quiet Passover celebration with my mom, sister and brother in law. We didn't do the full on ceremony, which could take hours.  Even still, it took us about 1 hour before we ate and then about 15 more minutes for the after eating part of the ceremony. I blasted our Jewish folk music from when I was a child. My sister is not a fan, but I love it.  My mom made lamb stuffed with garlic on the grill. After she bought the lamb, we discovered you  aren't supposed to eat lamb for Passover. There are probably a lot of things you are or are not supposed to do that we did wrong, but we enjoyed it. It was still a special night of remembrance.
The reason the poached egg looks brownish is because my mom grilled it on the grill! Weird. We peeled it a few days later and this is what it looked like. We, of course, did not eat it because it stood out for a while. This is what it looks like after it has been peeled. 
 
Speaking of eggs, I participated in the Poway Easter Egg Hunt. We blew through about 23,000 eggs this year. Fun event!

 
 
Anyway, I made Tabouleh for Passover. Love that stuff.
 
Here is my recipe.
1 1/2 cups bulgur wheat (or couscous or quinoa)
1 bunch green onions, chopped (or chives or scallions)
1 cucumber, chopped
3 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 bunch of parsley, de-stemmed and chopped
1 bunch fresh mint, chopped
juice of 2 lemons or to taste
4 tbsp. olive oil
Or if you are in a hurry, buy the Near East box mix of Tabouleh.  Add in the vegetables, oil and lemon. I personally love the parsley and mint taste, but my sister uses cilantro instead of mint or parsley and that tastes great too!


3 comments:

  1. This blog *IS* really boring and very distasteful! No pun intended!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry I missed both celebrations! glad you were able to share Passover with the newest members of our family though :)

    ReplyDelete