Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Chicken Salad

View from Torrey Pines State Park
“What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness.”   - J.Steinbeck

Once it starts to warm up around here, my mom has a 'no oven ' rule. She hates to run the oven in the summer, especially since our house never has had air conditioner. This means we have to be creative with recipes that involve no cooking, stove cooking, microwave cooking or grill cooking.

My dad uses a charcoal grill. So when he decides to cook something, that means we need to take advantage of the coals and cook everything. So BBQ chicken night turns into cook more chicken for leftover night, cook hot dogs night, or cook every ounce of some form of steak in our freezer night.  We end up eating leftover grilled chicken for a week after that! It gets to the point where I'll eat any other kind of meat. Any meat! Just no more chicken!  "One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know." LOL.

In the interest of making the boring, well, less boring, we have experimented with a couple of chicken salad recipes in the last few months. Both were different from the traditional chicken salad (which I love) and kind of fun to try. Sorry no photos.

I found the original recipes on allrecipes.com. I love that site!  Both my parents and I always 'enhance' recipes we find to put our own personal touch in. So the recipes I post are never the exact same as the original source.  However, I do recommend allrecipes.com as a great source for recipes!

RECIPE 1
8 Cup Chicken Salad (my mom calls it this because it calls for about 8 cups of stuff)
 
3 cups of chicken, cooked and chopped/cubed
1 c of chopped celery
¼ cup chopped green onions (about two)
1 c of chopped apples
1 c mix of red and green bell peppers chopped
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp paprika
1/3 c mayo (more if desired)
Ground pepper to taste
½ tsp seasoned salt if desired
       
In a medium bowl, mix together mayonnaise with paprika and seasoned salt if using. Blend in dried cranberries, celery, bell pepper, onion, and nuts. Add chopped chicken, and mix well. Season with black pepper to taste. Chill 1 hour.
Camp Pendleton, Oceanside

RECIPE 2
Fruity Curry Chicken Salad

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cooked and diced
1 stalk celery, diced
4 green onions, chopped
1 Golden Delicious apple -  diced

1/3 cup golden raisins
1/3 cup seedless green grapes, halved
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
3/4 cup light mayonnaise
 
In a medium bowl, mix together. Chill 1 hour.
 
If anyone has suggestions for non oven summer foods, please feel free to let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment