Saturday, April 6, 2013

Little Black Dress Soup?

I joined a book club over a year ago to get myself out there and meeting new people. One of the books we read as a club was Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen.  Which was a great book, by the way. It was funny and very true. I actually did find it hard to read at some points because the whole thing is about divorce.  “Men of sense, whatever you may choose to say, do not want silly wives.”   Anyway... we always get together to discuss the book we read, so we had an Amish night. I made this soup and it turned out yummy. This was pre-capture-everything-you-eat-on-your-phone-days, so I apologize for the no photo.

Amish Chicken Soup Recipe

Ingredients:
1.5 lb. chicken (I use boneless)
1 qt. water
1 tsp. salt (or more to taste)
1  c. chicken stock (or a can of broth)
1 c. celery, chopped
1 c. carrots, chopped
1 tart apple, chopped
1 c. onions, chopped
Dash pepper
2 c. egg noodles
dashes of celery seed, poultry seasoning, and sage


Directions:
Boil chicken in water until tender. Add everything else except noodles and cook until veggies and fruit are tender. Toss in the noodles and cook 8-10 minutes.

P.S. Ode to book clubs! I have read so many different books that I normally would never read or even know about. I am missing it this spring and am looking forward to reading books for the fun of it in the summer.

2 comments:

  1. Might we see a book review or two on this blog in the future, hmmm? HHMMMM??

    ReplyDelete
  2. you never know what might be found in the amazing maze of Grace

    ReplyDelete